It's 18.1 miles and two triumphant climbs up Hospital Hill in one morning. The Devil Dog Double combines the Semper 5ive, a five-mile run starting in Fredericksburg's downtown area with the Historic Half, which covers 13.1 miles from Central Park, through the city's historic streets, along the river and up Hospital Hill. Complete both events within the pacing requirements to earn three impressive finisher medals.
Devil Dog Double participants will begin the morning at the start of the Semper 5ive near James Monroe High School at 6:40 a.m. Runners must complete the five miler and cross the finish line by 7:35 a.m. before immediately turning around and beginning the Historic Half. The 13.1 mile course remains open until 11:00 a.m. Runners are required to complete the Semper 5ive with a 10:30 minute per mile pace or faster and maintain a 16 minute per mile pace for the Historic Half.
- WP1: Mary Washington Blvd just past Fall Hill Traffic Circle
- WP2: Hospital Drive on Mary Washington Hospital Campus
- WP3: Cowan Blvd prior to Carl D. Silver Parkway
- WP 1: Cowan Blvd in eastbound lanes at Hugh Mercer Elementary School entrance
- WP 2: University of Mary Washington at Sunken Road and Sylvania Avenue
- WP 3: Maury Street and Fall Hill Avenue
- WP 4: Charlotte Street between Princess Anne and Caroline Street
- WP 5: Caroline Street past Ford Street
- WP 6: Mary Washington Blvd. extension after Fall Hill Traffic Circle
- WP 7: Hospital Drive on Mary Washington Hospital Campus
- WP 8: Cowan Blvd prior to Carl D. Silver Parkway
Four Aid Stations provide basic medical and Basic Life Support care along both, the Semper 5ive and Historic Half, courses with support from proud sponsor, Mary Washington Healthcare, the Naval Health Clinic Quantico and other volunteers.
Fredericksburg Emergency Medical Services (EMS), along with mutual aid partners from the surrounding areas, provide bike teams, medical gators and EMS transport in support of the event. Each Aid Station is equipped with an AED, as well as other medical supplies needed to care for Historic Half participants.
Aid Stations are located:
- Semper 5ive/Devil Dog Double start area
- Hospital Drive before traffic circle at top of Care Way
- Along Carl D. Silver Parkway at Eye Care Center
- Start/finish at the finish on Carl D. Silver Parkway
- Mile 4: At intersection of Washington Avenue and Sunken Road
- Mile 7.5: Fredericksburg Visitor Center Parking l ot.
- Mile 11: Hospital Drive before traffic circle at top of Care Way
- Mile 12: Along Carl D. Silver Parkway at the Eye Care Center
- AS S/F: Start/Finish areas of Carl D. Silver Parkway and Hospitality Lane
All Historic Half Weekend participants are required to attend Packet Pick-up, located within the Healthy Lifestyle Expo to obtain the official bib with timing device and technical competitor shirt. Runners must bring the e-Card and a photo ID to Packet Pick-up. e-Cards are emailed to all participants in the weeks prior to the event.
Runners are highly encouraged to pick up their own materials and verify personal information.
For runners unable to attend Packet Pick-up, proxy pick-up is an available option. Runners may designate an individual to obtain their bib and event materials. The individual picking up the bib for a registered runner must present a hard copy of the completed e-Card with a copy of the runner's photo ID, as well as a copy of his/her ID. Please obtain the runner's preferred shirt size. e-Cards are emailed to the registered runner before the event. Parents may sign waiver and retrieve packets for their children under 18 years of age.
Packet Pick-up is not available on event morning.
The Devil Dog Double timing system utilizes a light-weight disposable UHF RFID tag that stays mounted on the runner's bib, embedded in the reverse side. No action is required of runners beyond wearing the assigned bib. The "B-tag" records a runner’s official time, beginning when a participant crosses the start line and concluding as he or she passes the finish. Runners receive their B-tag on their event bib.
Devil Dog Double participants may check their approved clear bag (received during Packet Pick-up) on event morning at baggage trucks adjacent to the Semper 5ive start line. The Semper 5ive start is located near James Monroe High School on Washington Avenue. Baggage support vehicles are located adjacent to the start until 6:25 a.m. Runners can pick up their items post-event in the Historic Half Finish Festival located outside the Fredericksburg Expo & Conference Center at 2371 Carl D. Silver Parkway.
There will be no pre-event shuttle for Devil Dog participants to the Semper 5ive start line from Central Park.
Devil Dog Double participants can park at any of these locations near the start:
1. James Monroe High School – 2300 Washington Avenue
2. Mary Washington Healthcare Administration Building – 2300 Fall Hill Avenue
3. Mary Washington Healthcare parking lots located at intersection of Fall Hill Avenue and Progress, Germania and Elm Streets
From any of these parking lots, participants will walk a short distance to the start line at the intersection of Fall Hill Ave and Green Street. There is no fee to park in these public lots.
Runners can also be dropped off by family and friends at Fall Hill Ave and Progress Street (near PNC Bank), and access the start line by walking straight on Washingtong Avenue for a short distance.
Devil Dog Double participants may board post-event shuttles (free of charge) from the Central Park Walmart to the designated parking locations near the Semper 5ive start. Shuttles begin approximately 8:00 when Cowan Blvd opens up to vehicle traffic and will return participants to the intersection of Germania and Fall Hill Avenue near James Monroe High School and the adjacent parking lots through 11:15 a.m. on event morning.
There will be no pre-event shuttle service to the Semper 5ive start line. Participants are required to park in designated locations adjacent to the start.
Runners and spectators can reunite at the Family Link-up area, located outside the Expo Center. To coordinate link up, meet under the flag bearing the first letter of the runner's last name. The flags are designated as follows: A-B-C, D-E-F-G, H-I-J-K, L-M-N-O, P-Q-R-S, T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z.